View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 03:54 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Strava and TrainingPeaks state that their algorithms ignore stopped time when AutoPause is in use. IOW it's like you didn't stop for the purposes of TSS calculation. However if you turn AutoPause off, the time spent not moving is included in the TSS calculation, basically NP*T. OTOH, your NP will be lower when time not moving is counted, so even though all time is then counted, maybe little/no difference in TSS either way?

I didn't look up WKO and other websites.
See my later post, which I didn’t clearly state but is re: WKO (which is all that’s relevant to me). WKO bases TSS on the total elapsed time for the ride (or so I read). So, autopause or not, if I’m out for 3 hours that’s what WKO will use when calculating TSS. I think this is realistically only going to matter on an epic ride where you’re out all day and have maybe two long breaks.

Interesting that Strava ignores paused time when calculating TSS. I’m a Summit member on Strava (for the beacon feature) and can say WKO and Strava Summit correlate pretty well on TSS, TSB, and related metrics. So by that token, I’d say you get pretty much the same results whether your software counts the paused time (as WKO does) or not (as Strava does).

There’s other sources of discrepancy between Strava and WKO. Mostly it’s due to the fact that I don’t have a power meter on the mtb and Strava seems to base TSS in part on speed. It always assigns me a lower TSS for a mtb ride than I assign myself (and coach thinks I tend to underestimate my mtb TSS). I also don’t create Strava files for non-bike activities like I do in WKO. But still, even though the numbers don’t correlate precisely, you still get the important gist with both software algorithms- you can tell when I’m fit, or rested, etc. Over time you figure things out, like Strava not capturing mtb fatigue well for me, and can grasp the big picture.