Old 08-07-19, 01:16 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Can you sent it straight back, and order an external BB (i.e Shimano HT2 spec crank)?

Confused about what you are trying to do, order some parts, then do the research on other essential parts to make the original purchase fit/work, it doesn't really make sense to do it like this, make sure you have got all your parts/specs down before ordering anything and make sure that you can get everything in for the same time (so you aren't waiting months for that last essential part).

Going with the external BB type crank eliminates all issue with compatibility & chainlines as, as long as you stick with the same brand, there is only one possible spindle width which is fixed. and it eliminates any of this trial and error craziness (and if your going do do that, the cost will be far higher in time and money buying unnecessary BB's than just buying a decent Shimano HT2 crank/BB in the first place).
Perfectly fair question. I had the major drivetrain components in my spare parts bin already (shifters, derailleurs, crankset). I was going external, but my frames outer B.B. shell is rough, and upon examination, the old crankset was pretty worn. Just happened to see the new FSA 10 speed crank on sale/closeout marked down to $30. Hard to pass up. Since it’s Square taper I moved in that direction. All other parts are sourced and fitted, so it’s just the crank B.B. I’m fiddling with. I figure if I wind up with a new 10 speed crank and new B.B. on this project for less than $50 I’ve done alright. Anyway, that’s my rationale.

Last edited by Plainsman; 08-07-19 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typos
Likes For Plainsman: