Old 08-13-19, 12:19 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
(BTW, I don;t own a smart phone, and don;t even know how to text, LOL! )
You don't get any bragging rights then. I do own a smartphone and I do know how to text. I even know how to use speech to text. But I will not interact with my smartphone while driving a vehicle. That puts me in a tiny minority it appears. Something like 9 of 10 drivers WILL interact with their phone if it pings while they are driving. 9 of 10. At that point you simply have to stop blaming drivers and come up with a different solution! Drivers can voluntarily enter themselves into programs that defeat their phones while in motion . Why voluntary? Are you allowed to defeat the airbag system in your car? The little display that comes on when you go into reverse? Safety should not be optional. All smartphones can detect when they are in a vehicle and when they receive texts they should automatically send a response to the texter to that effect. A passenger in a vehicle should want to support the driver and not defeat the feature but on a road trip situation I get that passenger access to the texting and GPS (and other) functions of the phone might be necessary. Easy enough to allow override of the lockout. I'm way ahead of you ... if a driver defeats the lockout, jail them. Period. Once a few drivers receive very public prison sentences of 60 days for a 1st offense there would be a marked reduction in smartphone distraction while driving.
Likes For Leisesturm: