View Single Post
Old 08-14-19, 02:24 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by cboy1980
Also were the first things which had me on that age, just wanted a more expert view on it.
Whatt makes it more nice that it is actually from 1980, which happens to be my birth year
@CliffordK; Yeah I noiced also that the builder did try to copy the carbon look as good as possible with the silver parts (although some do follow contours and the others are just straigt taped)

Any ideas on the gear shifting levers? with the cutouts?

Now I would like to add some Colnago decals on it, but would be nice to have some tips on which ones are typical for the 1980 bike.

I prefer just to have the white letering / if possible with a silver edge, ...Which i haven't found yet

Any estimation on price? Just out of interest, not planning to sell it.
It's great to own a bike from your birth year - so far I haven't managed that.

The cutouts in the Campagnolo gear levers were often done to accompany the pantographing and are desirable to this style of embelishment of the bike.

As for the decals - I get mine from "Cyclemondo" which are of great quality for reproductions and are available through ebay or by searching for 'Cyclemondo" on the internet. They are made in Australia and are posted worldwide. You will find many guy's on this forum using Cyclemondo. The owner of Cyclemondo has an extensive fleet of Colnago's which you can see on the website and there is a range of Colnago decal sets to choose from. I suggest you do a search of 1980 Colnago images to see what decals could have been used during that year and see if Cyclemondo has that decal set for sale.

Just out of interest, I would expect your Colnago would be worth in the region of $1500 - give or take. The pantographing may improve that estimate. As with all things, if you want it you can expect to pay a little extra for it. As you say, you don't want to sell it and, in my opinion, you should hang on to it as it's a real classic that others would really desire.

P.S. the first thing I would change on this bike would be the brake levers. I would look for a Campagnolo Nuovo Record pair or, my second option would be a pair of Campy Super Record brake levers.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 08-14-19 at 02:29 AM.