View Single Post
Old 08-14-19, 11:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Early 80's Japanese mid level bikes like bike like Nishiki, Centurion, panasonic, bridgestone, univega get my vote you can keep them simple (friction or upgrade) easy to work on and good quality

easy to put a north style bar on for more upright commuting (and then use a thumb shifter)

both of these wold work, the bridgestone is a upper end model

and to be clear Steel frames are not heavier than aluminum

63 cm in bellingham $125 https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bi...945112402.html

loooks like a nice bridgestone $325 https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...953742405.html
+1 There were many Japanese mid-level road bikes sized for 27" wheels. Running 700c allows a bigger tire size and fenders. My winter/rain/city fix gear is almost one of those frames. (~1983 Trek 400 quite possibly Japanese tubing and manufacture). Previous editions of that bike had a Miyata 610 frame, ~1983 (with lost of tire room), a (I believe Canadian built) Sekine of roughly the same time and a Japanese built Schwinn, ~1981. These frames were not all Japanese, but they were all from that time period, all ISO standard, all horizontal dropout and all allowed reasonably big tires. The Miyata was purchased as a full bike, the rest as just frames.

On plus of this approach - things happen to commuters. Those frames were so similar that almost all the parts would just lift off one frame and go on the next. Even bottom brackets, headsets and seatposts. One evening of work and often nothing to buy beyond cables and the like.

Thankfully, the Japanese built thousands of those bikes and inspired makers in Europe and the US to do the same. Those bikes are out there to be had.

Ben