View Single Post
Old 04-22-03, 06:44 AM
zman92atl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was asking questions about that bike in my first post in Mountain Bikes about 3 weeks ago. I completely agree with what everyone has told you here although I followed another path. Everyone has their different reasons for the way they will purchase a bike. Again, if at all possible follow what others have suggested here as this is the best route to take if you can. For my own personal reasons I bought two Roadmaster (Pacific) mountain bikes for my girlfriend and I. I have mountain biked in the past borrowing friends Trek's, Cannondales and so forth so I know how nice a real bike is. I don't really have the money up front and didn't want to wait until I saved up for one as Spring is here. So we bought these and after I spent a few days adjusting, *****ing, moaning and reading this wonderful forum along with the Barnett's and Park Tools manuals I have learned quite a bit about bikes. This past weekend the bikes handled quite well for what they are. These bikes are for mostly weekend joy riding on a long paved trail here in Georgia, minus the days when I go by myself to get a little more exercise than what my girl wants. I have decided to upgrade the bike a little to what I want, even though it is usually not suggested here. In the past few days I have ordered through the various on-line dealers ,Nashbar, Supergo and Jenson, a set of Avid single digit 5's which perfom so much better, along with the straight jacket cables. This week, probably Thursday I should receive my new wheels, Sun Ryno Lite rims with Shimano Deore hubs. Yes they are cheap but a hell of alot better than the no name brand wheels that came with the bikes. Also the ones on the bikes have an angle on the rim where the brake shoes contact. It's been a royal pain for me to adjust the toe in and perfect angle. The new rims have a flat surface so this should help eliminate my problem. The next thing I should receive is a set of Kenda Kwest 26X1.5 which will replace the Kenda knobbys that came stock. I will keep the cheap rims and knobbys for if I ever go trail riding. Other than these upgrades the only other thing I have done is buy multitools, waterbottles, gloves, a mini pump, Yakima car rack (Costs more than one bike,ha,ha) and saddle bags. From here on out the only thing I will replace will be whatever breaks or if I just happen to have some extra cash a new component. I already have the components I want picked out. For the riding we do everything should be ok for awhile and eventually my plan is to buy a new frame. This way I know I'm on the path to a better bike, although I may spend a little more, it also gives me the fun and excitement of upgrading myself. I have taken everyone's advise and picked out a local bikeshop, at least near where I work. I have only been there once and bought a couple of things but they seem very highend and I hope to do more business with them. It was a very clean and organized shop. Actually if anyone here from ATL area uses them what are your thoughts?? It is Cycleworks on Holcomb Bridge Road. I know most of you probably don't agree with how I'm going about this but it suits me better for my needs and wants and of course the best thing is I get to ride. Thanks guy's and gal's for a wonderful forum, I have learned a great deal and hope to meet some of you one day.