Old 08-15-19, 03:06 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
There is no market because caliper brakes on road bikes won't work on rims any wider than ~28-30mm external
This is incorrect. My sram apex caliper set clears my 30mm wide rims with 28mm (31mm mounted) maxxis padrones. Also my Kuota Concept brakeset clears the wide setup even better.

Originally Posted by tyrion
Velocity Cliffhanger? Not hookless, but why is that important (honest question)?
For me hookless mounts far more securely than hooked rims. This is because the hookless rims have a raised groove on both sides of the rim where the bead then sits. And yes, the lack of the hook does help keep the inner width wider and helps spread the tire out more nicely. At lower pressures this is great. Don't forget that I am running only 70psi here! No more is required at my weight (65kg).

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm also curious as to why hookless. Pirelli directly states "not to be used on hookless rims" on their tubeless tires, and they're not the only one.
The Pirelli's have a non-kevlar bead which is designed "for easy mounting." This tells me that it is softer and more plyable than a kevlar or carbon bead and is also why it should not be used in conjunction with a hookless rim.

Originally Posted by smashndash
But an equivalent aluminum wheel wouldn’t have to be 30mm wide. Carbon walls are about 2.5mm thicker than aluminum. Carbon hooked walls are an additional 1.5mm thicker than aluminum hookless rims. I would say there’s about a 4mm difference then.

So a 23mm internal width rim (what I have; something that is fairly usable for both 25 and 28mm nominal tires) would be only 26mm wide rather than 30. That is more than acceptable for most rim brake systems.
Good point. I need to keep this in mind when considering an aluminum rim. Maybe one of the current rims on the market would be worth trying.

Originally Posted by smashndash
I'm talking 30mm outer width AND tubeless/hookless compatible.”

30mm ID would require 32mm tires at least. Real width of the tire would probably come out to 34 - 35mm. There aren’t many performance tires in size 32mm besides the GP5k. There aren’t many disc brake race bikes that could clear that, let alone rim brake bikes.
Yeah, the limit for road bikes is really at about 30mm outer-width. Any wider and you're not gaining anything. For MTB the inner-width sweet spot is at 35mm. That would be outer-width 40mm or so. But the advantages between 30 and 35mm MTB inner-width is only very slightly in favor of the 35.