Old 08-15-19, 09:27 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed

These were tossed in with a barn find bike I bought. They even look good, dirty. Don't know who cut the spokes😡
Others suggested clamping the hub somehow so the freewheel can be removed. I'm skeptical- those hubs aren't meant to be squeezed either on the barrel or across the flanges. Too much pressure and you have shards of aluminum.

If the hub and freewheel are worth saving, here's what I'd do: I would make up a set of Z-bend spokes as seen here:
https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/z-spokes/
I'd then lace a sacrificial rim to the hub using these spokes. Obviously you're not going to get anything to go in from the freewheel side of the drive-side flange, so you can either have all the spokes pointing so they're under tension when you try to remove the freewheel. Apply enough tension to the spokes so they're pulling evenly on the hub, clamp the freewheel tool to the hub with a skewer, clamp the assembly in a bench vise, say a few prayers, and then twist to break loose the freewheel as usual. It helps to have two people applying pressure since they'll be better able to control the rim... it's going to wiggle around no matter what.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills: