Old 08-18-19, 01:41 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by onre
This sounds interesting! I could do fillet brazing at my little garage, but don't really have the financial means of coming up with a stable enough frame jig, and have been pondering about how to make do with something cheaper.
I learned how to put on a rear triangle accurately without a fixture while apprenticing in England years ago. I consider getting a wheel to center with exactly the same length rear stays the most challenging aspect of building a frame. Using a lugged BB shell where the chain stays can move in and out really makes that task much easier. It is a little lengthy to describe in one post without multiple pictures. The tools required are a true wheel, a straight edge with an adjustable screw on one end and a homemade T tool that attaches to the dropouts and seat binder bolt to set the correct angle of the chainstays to the seat tube. By doing one joint at a time and making sure it is in the right position, it is possible to use the wheel to know where to spot braze the other side when it is in the center.