Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 06:31 PM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Had something similar about a year ago with a Schwalbe S-One. When I stopped for the flat there was no adhesive at all between carcass of tire and base tape. Tire had hunched up a little in front of valve and that area of tire had many small cuts. On an otherwise totally uncut tire. There was no thump thunp before the flat. Or I didn't feel it because it was a 30mm tire. Mondiale is a basic tire, mine was top of the line and two failures sound about the same.

My tire was well worn and punctured near valve so I just let it go. You could glue the carcass of tire direct to rim. All you lose is the ability to re-stitch and patch the next flat. For a while I was manic about checking that my tires were glued and glued. It could happen. We both lived to tell tale.
I've wondered if there is an incompatibility between certain tire and rim adhesive brands. I've had the base tape on certain tires pucker badly and come loose from the tire edges in the past. I suspected that the solvent in the rim glue dissolved the base tape's adhesive?