View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 11:57 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Well it’s fine I guess. Ya for me it would be hard to want to ride on a 30 pound older road bike with old components for the weekends any way. I understand if it’s about affordability. I’m building an old commuter myself and don’t need it to be some fancy $1000 commuter bike with newer component group. Trying to keep the cost below $300 is ideal. But for serious riding and if you enjoy cycling I think it’s better forking over some dough and supporting the industry.
I feel that. The bike isn't 30lbs, though, it's like 23. I don't have a problem pushing a 30lb bike, I ride old mtbs and cruisers too. I have an 83 High Sierra and a Huffy Nel Lusso that's a ratrod with a free wheel and 52t crank from a murray mtb. Pushing heavy bikes makes you faster on the lightwieghts. The huffy is heavier than the sierra and actually faster and I can bomb up overpasses as quick as I can run down them.

The Prelude is fine- was fine, other than the brake calipers flexing. It's just as responsive as a newer bike. Doesn't creak and groan. I don't want to throw high dollar parts at it, not just for the lack of money, it just needs to work. I don't need DuraAce when say 16 year old components will work fine and a 30 buck set of origin8 calipers will stop it. Think of it as a budget restomod.

I support the industry by keeping old bikes alive. Much like new cars; I don't like new bikes. Trust me; me not buying some "entry level" 700 dollar roadbike with as much curves as a cantilevered cruiser and a tiptronic transmission is not gonna destroy the industry.