View Single Post
Old 08-26-19, 07:37 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
Using 5x3 gearing the spacing is sufficient that a 1" movement of the lever means a one gear shift. Well, maybe not an inch but some other movement that will result in one gear change and is so automatic it might as well be indexed. That being said, I've converted all my stuff to indexed 7x3. It's easier, especially when tired and can save your knees by giving you more choices. Friction shifting a seven is more difficult and makes trimming more often nesssesary.
My first indexed shifting bike that was truly flawless was a 7x2 105 indexed down tube shifter equipped road bike (1990 Cannondale Crit bike). I loved that bike then and still do today. I have more modern bikes and ride them, but there is still a special place in my heart for that bike. It may be the only bike that I have developed an irrational attachment to beyond what makes any sense for an inanimate object. I rode it for my (U/L camping and cooking) Southern Tier (San Diego to Pensacola) and plan to ride it again from to ride the rest from Pensacola to St Augustine in the late winter or very early spring despite having what are probably more suitable bikes by most standards. That bike just makes me happy for some reason. The shifting is so nice and crisp and the bike is so full of great memories of younger and fitter times of my life.