View Single Post
Old 08-28-19, 06:37 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I've seen seat posts, bars, rims clean snap a few times. Carbon I have seen break, but never a snap. They get soft, crack but seems there is more warning.
Obviously everything should be properly engineered for the purpose. Equipment should not break outside a crash, mis-install, or a really large rider.
If they sell it as racing stuff - it should not break when used by racers, in a race. There seems to be an issue that since most consumers that buy racing stuff don't use that stuff in a race, the mfg likes to sell for things folks buy. Weight, color, brand. Just that when in a non-crash you can break parts off the bike (as mentioned, not the first time), that is not a good thing. Maybe there should be labels, "No, really OK to race with this".

I was pushing he get the Extralite bars as a replacement. They do 25.4 as they argue the thickness and stem/bar angles are better. They also weigh under 100g. All their stuff is way lighter and sturdier in our experience.
Anyway they were too narrow, so I think we went with an ENVE carbon bar. I do not expect any more bar issues, however I do expect something else.
First carbon bars I bought were for my MTB. ca. 2004 Easton EC90. 25.4 and super narrow. I am still rocking them 15 years later. Apparently wide bars are all the rage now - along with 27.5 and 29 wheels, but I do fine on my narrow bars and 26" wheels.