View Single Post
Old 08-30-19, 09:33 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 669 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I heard an interview with Dave Moulton on The Outspoken Cyclist podcast. Moulton is one of the all-time great British frame builders and is in his 80s now. He said using modern components on old steel frames gives you the best of both worlds, and I pretty much agree. There is a long-running thread of bikes we have updated with brifters and other modern stuff. A period-correct bike is nice, too, of course.
That's a great one Tom ! So true ! One of my all time favorite bikes which I rode for 20 years was this "Wizard" built by Brian Baylis and Mike Howard back in the 70s. Wizards have quite a following among collectors but back in 1998, it was just an old bike, similar to a Masi GC. I bought it for 400 bucks, complete bike. It went back to Brian for an incredible paint job in "Laser Purple" and I put on a Campy 9 speed gruppo which was current issue at the time. Rode it for 20 years, and it always got admiring looks and comments. And you want to know the best part ? I sold the frame last year for 3000 bucks ! The new owner was very happy to get it.

This bike had a story, it had panache, it had road feel, it was always a pleasure to ride.

Brian visited us for a weekend here on Bainbridge Island in 2003, spending a day with him looking at Masis (at Bob Freeman's bike event) was hugely instructional. He was a master. I really miss him.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA

Last edited by mpetry912; 08-30-19 at 09:41 AM.