View Single Post
Old 08-30-19, 06:41 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Edit: No go.

To move the crankset away from the frame, adding a ring will do nothing: For this, I need to a tiny spacer at the end of the axle.
DON'T DO THIS axle thing. The good outcome would be that it does nothing, the bad that it ruins your crank. For one you are pointing to the wrong side of the BB, but maybe you just did not pay the attention. Otherwise the spacer I suggested must work - it is the standard way of dealing with the issue. The ring would presumably work for a while but the BB is held in place by friction. Putting something flat under its lip yields more surface for the friction to work than a ring. Overall 0.15mm gain in your situation is insignificant compared to the issue - you must leave extra room for wobbling of the rings, crank catch on the BB axle getting worn out over time etc. Maybe you should just get the BB with a longer axle. Still the benefit of playing with the spacers is that 1) maybe you get away with the existing BB, 2) you develop a better judgment what axle length you actually need, 3) if the new BB comes in and is still too short, you can ix it with a spacer, 4) you get away with a shorter axle with spacers than without, limiting the folded size.