Old 08-31-19, 06:57 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
As stated in the original post, it will mostly be used for gravel, and some bikepacking. If I had to put numbers to it, the gravel would be maybe 90%, and 10% bikepacking. That being said, we live in a semi-rural part of Georgia. In our backyard is access to some chunkier gravel riding/singletrack. It would be fairly easy to do 60-80 miles of riding (with a decent % being gravel) just leaving from our front door. Terrain is moderately hilly-most rides consist of at least 2000 ft climbing, sometimes as much as 4000 ft. Going further north into the Cohutta mountains would mean even more gravel and more climbing 10-15% climbs aren't that unusual there. Could easily climb 6,000-10000 ft there. There is a climb in the Cohuttas I did last year which took over an hour to complete, and 30 min just to descend! Haven't seen too many bikes that come stock with enough gears, and the ones they have seem to be more for regular gravel (higher gearing). This is why I'm planning to build something. The more expensive bikes tend to be 1X systems too, which for me, is a negative.

Dave
I have an 2x system on my Giant, 46/32 FSA front and 11-40 rear. I found that set up to be pretty solid for similar terrain. If you are a strong rider that should give you a pretty good base to work from.

My opinion is just get the 105 and the rx, then spend the extra money on a nice carbon wheelset.