View Single Post
Old 09-01-19, 06:32 PM
GreenNeedle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The only problems I ever had with Bio-Pace was difficulty setting up the derailleur. Once set up properly the rings shifted flawlessly and I never had any issues with my knees---lots of hard miles on them. I have two sets---temporarily off the bike for other reasons, but would and will still use them if I get the right opportunity

Resurrecting earlier than the 6 years

I bought an early 90s Holdsworth that had Biopace/400 Exage as stock on it. Never heard of it before but first time I rode it I loved the bike (was meant to be for my son.) Once I decided it was gonna be mine then of course all my gear was going on it so I put the Biopace on a Sun Solo I had (and still have.) The Holdsworth now has SRAM red all over with Force brakes.

The Sun Solo has Shimano 400 Exage all over it. When I put the crank on I lined up the clamp as per normal. A penny gap between derailleur and big ring. Could not figure out what was going wrong until I realised the big ring was jamming on the derailleur. "This bloody ring is warped" I proclaimed when I realised what was happening.

Bit of research on the net and I find they are supposed to be warped. So I found the high point, reset the front derailleur and perfection. Works as well as any other setup does. Changes almost instantly as all the bikes in my shed do.

Those bikes being mine with SRAM red which of course is absolutely instant and exact, Eldest Sons with SRAM Apex which is a bit slower, a little less exact but very very good. My youngest sons Shimano Claris which is working flawlessly considering it's pricepoint. The Biopace/EX400 combo front and back is quicker than the Apex and Claris to change, Yes it is more exact but more because it is friction rather than Index so you can click it (trim) every change. If anything the Apex is the worst performer but most likely because it was my old one and has had the most miles on it.

The SunSolo is a bit of fun really. downtube shifters and the like. The Holdsworth with SRAM red is my main bike but I occasionally go out on the SunSolo (once a fortnight for a bit of change.) I rode it to work on Friday and on the way back another worker bikes with me. He was commenting how he couldn't believe how quiet my bike was. His Carrera was whirring along with noisy gear changes while I was in stealth mode, with single "clunk" changes.

So I have tried the Biopace on both. Hard to compare them because we are talking 80s/90s tech vs SRAMs top of the line but what I call "cruising speed" is what I base my assessments on. "Cruising speed" is spinning without having to push, no real effort. I can spin with no effort on the SRAM Red at 17-18mph on the Holdsworth. About the same (if not faster) than on the Alu frame with Carbon fork I used to have it on despite the extra steel frame weight.

The "cruising speed" on the Sun Solo is about 14-15mph. It is a heavier frame and of course all the components heavier. Might be fun trying out the Biopace on the Holdsworth on its own with the rest SRAM to see what it is like.

My Cadence tends to be spinning, like I suggested above in my assessment of "cruising speed." I tend to spin at about 100 and change up if I go higher. I hate to spin slowly. If I am then I change down gear very quickly. I notice no real difference with the biopace in terms of feeling the oval. Someone above does, but I don't. They do feel faster than I am going though. I think I'm zooming along at SRAM speed yet the computer tells me I am that 2-3 mph slower.

No Pains in knees, back or anywhere else.

Hmmm. Will Biopace work with 10 spd chain and Red front derailleur, lol?

EDIT. I'm sure the rings will be fine but was wondering about the spacing between rings on the original crank. Just thinking though I could just stick them on the red spider and give them a whirl as long as they are 130BCD.

Last edited by GreenNeedle; 09-01-19 at 06:44 PM.