View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 05:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Rims matter. A very stiff rim makes the spoke situation mostly static. A flexi rim makes it much more dynamic meaning every rotation of the wheel the tension on the spokes change (more than the stiff rim).
I am ~230#. I run 16/18 (both) on the front last 20 years. No broken spokes.
I run 20 hole cx-ray on the front of the 400# tandem. No broken spokes. 24 rear with disc and bigger spokes. I did break 14g DT spokes in the 80s in a 32 hole wheel on a single ~ 200#. I also broke a spoke on the Nibble Fly (1990s) 24mm profile 16 hole radial on the front of the tandem - still ~400#. But those spokes were not what we have now. And, that was too light and too narrow a profile rim.

Primarily the rims changed. Straight pull, J-bend, cross, over under, tie and solder etc may all have something to do with it a bit, but mostly, it is the rims.
I assume many folks can build wheels correctly. Many can't, but my focus assumes a correct build.

Anyway, my opinion is a Campy hub build depends a lot on the rim. With a good 50mm (I'd go less) profile rim, I'd have no issues riding it at ~230# radial lace. If you can't do that, then they really should not even be in the game where @800g a pair you can get wheels that will.