Old 09-03-19, 09:34 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
I don't think anyone will be profitable in this environment. These duties change on a daily basis with no notice...really hard to plan for a future that changes daily. Thankfully I have a teaching appointment to care for my family.

As I mentioned earlier I expect the market to compress ( via insolvencies ). I think euromini is at high risk ( having launched recently ). Bike Friday is always at risk. I love Bike Friday, so I hope they will be ok. Tern has so much drama with the frame debacle, they will always be high risk.

I have positioned us to be viable during a downturn. However we will have a trimmed lineup. I am discontinuing the 8S, 8FS, 8C, mini, and minib. I am considering trimming even more.

Thanks
Yan
Bike Friday recently acquired a lot of funding/investors. And since they can use US steel and make their frames here, it's components only that will see the tariff increases. And they have connected more with US component manufacturers as well (those that exist). Furthermore, their customers are already paying a premium for a custom bike USA made and will support whatever increase comes along. It's a different mindset from purchasing something like Euromini.