Old 09-03-19, 02:12 PM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Very cool - thanks for sharing. This has a Hank Williams era-sound and vibe to it, but it's a little but more "crust" and punk. The photo halfway through has total Rockabilly vibes with the three-piece string ensemble and the slicked haircuts. I can't admit to knowing a whole lot about Rockabilly other than some of the larger modern acts (Tiger Army, Necromantix) and this seemed a little bit before that time to me.

I was recently introduced to Tony Rice, one of the bluegrass greats and arguably the best/most significant bluegrass "picker" still alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFgC3Ub10E
I liked that video. Blue grass is at one end of my taste in music, but not my main thing. This chap plays in a nice relaxed style and "just sings the bloody song" which a lot of performers could learn from.

I have some Necromantix somewhere in my CD collection, along with the Guana Batz and the Meteors from a psychobilly phase I went through. I've seen the Meteors and the Reverend Horton Heat live. However, as I've got older, I've got more into the "traditional" rockabilly from the Sun era: Carl Perkins, Charlie Feathers, Sony Fisher, Sonny Burgess etc.

The original rockabilly was simple and cheerful, and good dance music. It grew out of the music played by rural people in the south. Many of the early performers really were from sharecropping families. The later stuff from the "revival" is more urban with its roots in punk, and a conscious pastiche of aspects of the original: good but not as spontaneous. Or maybe I'm talking nonsense.

Be that as it may, you may wish to look up Wayne Hancock, known by some as the modern Hank Williams. He is very good indeed, and borrows from hillbilly, rockabilly, blues and jazz. Here's one of his more Hank-like tracks.