Old 09-05-19, 09:57 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Duuuude! Sigh....

I suppose your opinions are the kind which rise out of not seeing or understanding the bigger picture or understanding the basics of posture.

I'm on my phone so briefly: that wasn't a hand position issue. That was a locked upper body and poor riding posture issue.

I wonder about your riding ability in general, because you put WAY TOO MUCH EMPHASIS ON HANDS! After you get basics right (ie. Hold onto the bars but don't death grip) the hands or their position should be a complete non issue as they simply are not important. Yes, I said it, hands aren't important.

What is important is balance meaning that in any given situation there is so little weight on your hands that they don't matter. In descending or riding rough terrain most of the riders weight (80 % maybe?) Should be supported by the feet. Especially in descending there should be minimal weight on your hands and butt to a point where you actually steer with your hips. If you've never done proper descents you won't know what that means.

All this panic about hands can even be detrimental to safety as inexperienced riders believe the doomsayers and start putting extra thought and emphasis on their hands, unconsiously shifting their balance forward away from the feet.

If you ride with locked elbows and leaning on the bars like they're a mobility stroller, you're going to have a bad time no matter where you keep your hands. If you balance on your feet, keep the whole upper body relaxed elbows bent, when you hit a bump you won't have an issue.

By the same logic you've shown, people should not use saddles because if they sit on the saddle like a sack of potatoes and hit a pothole, they're going to be launched off said saddle like the saturn V rocket.

I wonder how's your balance on the bike...
Yes, it's pretty easy to see the rider had his arms locked and could not absorb the shock of the bump. When watching, I imagine the hands would have come off the drops as well. Simply a more relaxed posture would have probably made that a non issue. Just picture how an old school rigid mountain biker holds their bars to let the bike, not the body absorb the hits.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-05-19 at 10:04 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet: