View Single Post
Old 09-05-19, 11:52 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
One-finger braking is pretty standard practice in MTB.

And as described before, if you're in the drops, that one finger is positioned to have as much leverage on the brakes a single finger can possibly have. It's an entirely different matter from one-finger braking on the hoods, where the single finger is close to the pivot and has a poor angle on the lever. It's worth several times more torque.
No.. sorry.. you don't get to claim one finger braking is ok in one position and genre but not the other.

The problem with the "sky is falling if you don't..." arguments is that you are talking to people who actually ride bikes quite a bit and know what reality is as compared to theoretical imaginings. FWIW, I've ridden all sorts of styles for 50 years and currently own and ride caliper, canti, mechanical and hydraulic disc brake bikes. Fake percentages and torque factors don't impress. If there is any problem with hydraulic disc brakes (now becoming the new standard in many cases), it's that they are too easy to apply. I have to be careful downhilling not to lock up brakes because of the modulation effort I am otherwise used to. Absolutely no problem applying activation pressure from a position like the hoods.

And before the rebuttal try to remember - I'm not saying riding in the drops is unsafe. Just that riding on the hoods with modern design is also safe.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-05-19 at 11:59 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet: