Old 09-05-19, 03:20 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Also interested in your review of the Panaracers. I'm thinking of putting gravel tires on my Trek FX S6 (replacing Conti 5Ks, for more gravel/trail traction) and also have read good things about the Panaracers. The only problem is they have so many variants. Did you get the standard Gravel Kings SK or SK+ (which now have more puncture resistance)? The picture seems to indicate the SKs, but the website may not have updated with the + photos.

Thanks!
I went with the Panaracer Gravel King slicks in 38mm. I have them set up tubeless and love them. I regularly go off-road, sometimes even riding some singletrack. I condsider them every bit as capable as any small knob tires in 99% of conditions. The only place they fail is in sloppy mud, and the SK tires also equally fail in sloppy mud. Any gravel bike rider who has tried them will tell you the same thing I just did. The only people who will tell you that you need the knobbies are people who haven't tried the slicks.

*disclaimer - my above comments are limited to 38mm & wider tires as I believe the capability of the tire is directly related to the wider tire. I have never tried anything less than 38mm, so I cannot comment on those sizes.

Last edited by medic75; 09-05-19 at 03:26 PM.