View Single Post
Old 01-30-06, 07:14 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for a temp agency so I go thru 5 to 10 new employers a year. I will drive to work the first day to look my best and to show them that I am a genuine member of their car driving culture (they think). I also look for good bike parking before risking the bike. I ask about cycling to work. If negative vibes I pull work clothes on over my gear before walking into work. Then change in a rest room. Praise OSHA for handicapped stalls. If they like cycling I ask about in close or inside parking and changing after I get there. Usually is OK. My next job may be temp-to-perm and the site is next to the west county regional bike trail. Unfortunately the only showers are for dealing with emergency chemical spills. I try to get to work 20 to 30 minutes early as a safety margin. One day I had two flats and got to work just in time.

Means? New people, take it carefully. In these days of at-will hiring it is so easy for an anti cyclist to get rid of you. Step by step. Employers may not be hostile to cycling; they just don't want it to interfere with the job.