Old 09-06-19, 08:37 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I've been trying to use my drops more...<snip>...In addition, being on the drops seems to yield more control and power (you can tell I haven't paid much attention to them previously).

Yep, people who have not configured their bikes properly to ride in the drops ...”don’t know what they don’t know”...because they are more comfortable and used to riding on the hoods. As such, bar height/brifter angle are configured to optimize hood riding vs being optimized for riding in BOTH positions. If current bike can’t be configured to do this, then there are fit issues.

——-to everyone else——

Yes you can ride and brake on the hoods...nobody here is disputing that. What is being disputed is hood riding is not optimal when it comes to control/leverage/power transfer. Riding in the drops gives you more leverage, control and power transfer.

...and yes hitting an unexpected pot hole or irregularity at speed will make your hands jump especially if you are relaxed. Throw in a slight twist to the front wheel and you are really in trouble unless you ride with a death grip all the time and are able to anticipate it (can’t always anticipate when you are in a fast paceline). If your hands get bumped off the hoods, there is nothing to stop it other than your ability to remain balanced and recover. Your hands are hooked in...in the drops and the top of the drop has saved me more than one time when my hands were bumped.
Likes For jadocs: