View Single Post
Old 09-06-19, 01:16 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
As a lifelong roadie, for me, it's drop bars or nothing. The other night my wife's friend brought her beach cruiser over for me to look at. Cushy seat, big balloon tires, curved flat bars, single speed, coaster brake. She had a creak in the handlebar/stem. I took it for a ride. Wierd. I don't know how people can ride these things. I was wobbling all over the road. Also, in 55+ years of riding, I think it was my first time on coaster brakes, where you pedal backwards to stop. I found myself dragging my foot, "flintstone style" to make a u turn. Anyway, I checked the stem, for tightness, and squirted WD40 into the parts joint between stem and bars. The headset seemed OK. It's a pretty new bike, a "Cadillac" brand, pretty light, with aluminum frame. Not my type, I'll take my road bike, drop bars, and "real" brakes any day.