Old 09-06-19, 09:22 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Good question, since they've been around for decades.

@smashndash's crystal ball is probably a lot clearer than mine. My bikes were already obsolete when I bought them, so I bought a couple rounds of replacement parts to keep them going years into the future. The total cost wasn't bad. Laying in spares of consumables while you can is probably the surest way to "future-proof" a new bike, too.
Don’t give me too much credit. I just pointed out standards that are *not dead yet*. Post mount, 15mm TA (for road), BB90, and DM rear mechs are pretty much dead or on their way out, but there’s plenty of bikes (especially used ones) that still have those.

Originally Posted by General Geoff
If you get 15mm TA up front, you can use MTB 29'er wheels, or use a simple 15mm-to-12mm insert to convert to 12mm. Easy to make a 15mm TA fork into a 12mm; not so easy to go the other way.
Fair enough. Your solution is probably more futureproof but DT allows one to swap endcaps and also:

This is where PDXTI’s carbon 12mm to 15mm thru-axle adapter comes in handy. Weighing a paltry 9.7 grams, this simple tube of carbon fiber slides into your wheel’s 15mm front axle, spacing out the front axle and allowing you to utilize a 15mm thru-axle front wheel on a fork designed for 12mm.”

There exist solutions for the other way around, but they may not work as well.