View Single Post
Old 09-09-19, 06:19 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I like drop bars for security on fast speed descents. That said, my hands are too small and wrists too arthritic to be able to brake for any length of time from that position. My neck also gives out looking up from the the drops while braking even though my touring bike bars are 2 inches higher than saddle. The hood position is more comfortable but I can't apply much power from there for long duration... just works for a quick stop or a slight slowing down.

I've found that cross top (interrupter) levers to be ideal for strong power braking on drop bar tops with the same leverage provided by mountain bike flat bar levers. Unlike the old "safety" levers pictured by FiftySix, the cross tops work. I have cantilevers, not sure if they work with discs. The higher, narrower position of cross tops takes some getting used to but it is now my go to position for any long descent. I only use the drops for high speeds with light braking.

Cross tops are particularly useful for long, slow gravel descents that require continual braking but without much risk of getting dislodged from bars on high speed bumps as discussed previously ...

Lemhi Pass ID ^

Last edited by BobG; 09-09-19 at 07:28 AM.