Old 09-09-19, 06:42 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2014 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by VARider54
So many of these comments blame the victim. This rider appeared to be doing everything right. He doesn't appear to be swerving, he has a red flasher on his bike, he's staying as far to the right as is reasonably possible. Two other vehicles passed him without incident. Nothing in this video makes me believe he is to share any of the blame. He shouldn't have to avoid being hit.

If you are overtaking anybody or anything from behind, you are responsible for avoiding a collision, especially if you are piloting 3500 pounds of steel and glass at 55mph. If there is one activity, other than some professional sports, where this is not true, I'd like to hear about it.
No one is blaming the victim. It is absolutely 100% the driver's fault. What folks are saying is that since there's little we can do to influence driver behaviour, we can only choose what we do ourselves to keep from being hit. Most are saying that the they would have chosen to ride further right.

I was struck from behind once by an intoxicated driver. I know it was 100% the driver's fault, yet I still analyze the collision and ask what I could have done differently to have a another outcome. Am I blaming myself? Of course not. I ask it to learn from it.
Likes For mcours2006: