View Single Post
Old 09-10-19, 05:19 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
The Raleigh is 95 percent done. I just have to clean up the electrical light pieces and figure out a bulb upgrade. I took a lovely ride (the first one in the history of my ownership) here in Ottawa. It was a fine day for riding three speeds along our river paths. It took many months to finish but I'm very happy and thankful for this thread. It's what got me into three speeds (thanks SixtyFiver!)

The AG ticks along nicely. The Cyclo three speed external derailer works very well after a rebuild and fresh grease. I think this bike could boogie over flat roads. The big cog is 21t. One thing: it won't hold Normal gear. I think it's a shift cable adjustment issue. Any ideas? High and Low work perfectly.

I used a Tektro 800a front brake with some minor adjustment of the fender if you're wondering. The original brake parts crumbled, and I plan to take this old timer on a weekender or two so I fitted a more modern yet not out of place alternative. The rear is off a 1979 Sports. Panaracer Col de la Vie tires are fitted which are very comfy and look the business.
The Kool Stops work great but squeak terribly. Any fixes?

Here's a bunch of photos near the Canadian Parliament, from the east grounds...

The Canadian Parliament as seen from the grounds.

1962 Plymouth Belvedere. The Raleigh was 12 years old when it was built...

A familiar face. Same year range and colour as my donor 1979 Sports.

Close up of the 1949 made Cyclo 3 speed derailer. It works as well as you would expect. Crude by modern standards, but I am happy it works. Really helps the old fellow punch above his weight. After a rebuild and some fresh grease, it is fun to gently operate it.

A giant spider appears!

I found the carradice bag second hand. Ive been treating the leather bits with proofhide.
Very Nicely done!
I was curious as to how the derailleur would look/work out.
Slipping in second should be resolved by adjusting the cable length.
With the trigger in second, the crown of the indicator should
just be peeking out of the axle approx. 1/8"
It's a micro adjustment to engage properly.
This assumes the indicator is original to the hub as sometimes they
get swapped.
Also, make sure your cable stop is tight.
A new cable will need periodic tightening as it stretches a bit.