Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I would encourage you to view some cyclocross racing - then you'll get it. Here's one of many to get you started.

Of course I'm not a cyclocross racer and if I was I'd certainly buy a dedicated bike. But since I have a Trek 970 mountain bike with drop bars, I don't feel a need to buy a Surly Cross Check or something like that.

https://youtu.be/aCfIn9wRr3w
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that the guy catching air in the video thumbnail is riding on his hoods

It is also worth pointing out that for UCI races (and some others as well), drop bars are mandated for CX. People are not choosing drop bars for cyclocross because they are better in the technical stuff, they use them either because they have to, or because they are an advantage in the non-technical stuff. There’s also the fact that it is simply traditional for the sport.

Of course this is largely subjective, and if you like drops for the rough stuff than use them. However, I have the suspicion that your experience with flats versus drops has more to do with the particular set ups of your four bikes.
Likes For Kapusta: