Old 09-11-19, 10:15 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by logical
Two bikes in a month? You got some cash to burn Congrats man the new bike looks awesome. Was the price the only thing that swayed you from the Madone?

Im jealous youve been able to buy new bikes and find time to ride. I recently moved from West Hollywood down to quite a bit more south so riding is tougher. Cycling up near West Hollywood and into Santa Monica is the norm for drivers to see, but down where I am I feel like I have way more of a chance to get hit cause there arent as many cyclist out. I used to ride when at night but not anymore in this area. Where do you ride?
I'm done buying for now. Next purchase likely in 2-3 years if there's any huge advancement in aero frame technology. I actually found a prospective buyer for my Trek FX S6 so that's about to come off the board. I've been hanging on to the SuperSix because of the Di2 which I'd planned to move to an aero frame, but since I just bought a complete aero bike with eTap, I'm going to take a while to ride it and make sure I like eTap as much as Di2 (early returns are positive). If I do, then I may sell the SuperSix as well, and then just go down to 2 bikes, a racing and an aero. That's ideal, as I will ride both bikes regularly.

I ride primarily in the beach communities. Roads are busy but most have dedicated bike lanes. Also try to stay on smaller side roads when I can that run parallel to the big ones, as that reduces chances of getting in an accident. I ride any time between 6am to 11pm. I have pretty bright lights so "I didn't see him" isn't an excuse, it will be either pure negligence or worse...bad intent...if I'm hit. I try to obey all the rules of the road and don't do things drivers might get pissed at. Don't want to give anyone an excuse to come at me. For longer unbroken rides, I put the bike on my car's rack and drive outside of LA proper, north to Ventura/Santa Barbara area, or south to Oceanside/Carlsbad/San Diego area.

Originally Posted by eduskator
What a nice piece of art! I like the yellow / white combination. Canadian bike as well! How do you like the eTap? I'm guessing you have DI2 on your TCR - how would you compare both?

I'm also looking to extent my ''fleet'' with a more city friendly road bike & potentially a mountain bike to go play in the woods!
I find eTap to shift a hair slower that Di2. But also set up my Di2 on "fast". The shifting feel is different, with eTap shifting kind of giving a (to me, satisfying) "thunk" when you shift into a different gear (usually to a smaller rear cog). I miss some of the smarter Di2 features like the synchronous shifting (where if it changes on the big chainring, it moves a couple of cogs on the rear to make the gear change less pronounced). But I also love the wireless of the eTap. Since this is a 2018 S3 it doesn't have the totally hidden cables at the handlebars, but now I only have 2 cables for the brakes going from the bar into the stem/fork. Way less cabling than on my TCR (both have internal cable routing on the frame obviously).