Old 09-11-19, 02:28 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
You said you liked to use LBSs for window shopping only, implying that you'd buy elsewhere. It doesn't matter whether you're talking bikes, cars, tools, or any other consumer product, it costs a merchant money to have the window and stock you're using to make your purchase decisions. If you take advantage of the fact that there is a Giant Propel in the window of the local dealer, then go online and buy one cheaper elsewhere, you benefitted from his investment.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with cycling elitists. I'd think it has more to do with recognizing the investment all businesses make in inventory, real estate, labor, advertising, utilities, and the million other things it takes for a business to exist.

Have a great day.

BB
That is true you need to have windows to "window shop" and that does take product and rent but as a retail buyer for 10 years I can tell you if your business doesn't have an eCommerce presence you are dead in the water and most bike companies should carry as little stock as possible IMO due to the thin margins. Point being huge window displays or an array of stock for a high cost rental space is simply stupid. Selling high margin accessories, classes, and service is how bike shops will stay a float. There are way too many types of bikes, parts, sizes, and trims to stock. That is why LBS wrongly pressure someone into the wrong type of bike or wrong size since they have their budget or credit line tied up in bikes.

Window shopping does't mean I buy elsewhere but, one of my original points is that there just isn't anything revolutionary with bikes year to year. I also love cars but everyone knows for most people they NEVER should buy a new car since it's a total waste of money. With a bike you a used bike a great option but you also can buy hold backs, closeouts, wholesale NEW with warranty at a fraction of the price. Again I think more and more people are starting to figure this out, but this doesn't stop them from window shopping.