Old 09-12-19, 06:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
It's the 28 end I can't do. They end with numbers like 21, 23, and the biggie- 24... These are vintage freewheels, from the days when we were all younger, and probably like me, a good bit stronger, capable of dancing on the pedals. I love the old corn-cobs, but only use mine when I go to Cape Cod, and ride along the ocean. Wish I could oblige. But that would mean that, as a young man, I would have understood how "time" worked.
Hah, you and me both. I have my share of corn cobs as well. There was a time when I couldn't imagine ever needing a cog larger than a 23 or a 24 except on a loaded touring bike, . Central Iowa is reputed to be flat (and it certainly isn't terribly hilly) but I have no problem finding rides with 10 percent grades so those corn cobs aren't getting much use.

Edit: Bernard Hinault wrote (likely ghost wrote) a book called Road Racing Technique and Training. There is a lovely passage in the book where he claims that no one would ever need more gearing than a campy triple and a corn cob because with that you could climb up a wall. Yeah right, he could no doubt with that gearing but I know I couldn't.

Last edited by bikemig; 09-12-19 at 07:54 AM.