Old 09-12-19, 06:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 802 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse
I'm redoing my 26 inch mtb. I considered going to 700c conversion (no big deal to convert), but I like the idea of the 26 wheel. Well.. actually the project gravitated towards keeping the 26 wheels, so here I am! I can put on a MTB wheel for off road tours, and, after throwing on a set of spare 1.25 slicks, I am blown away about how fast the slicks are.

My question to the BF braintrust is as follows- if you do ride slicks, what are you riding loaded? 1.0? 1.25? 1.5? 1.75? What is the sweet spot for loaded 26 inch tourers....

...Here's the rough copy mockup of my Schwinn 26 with (currently) silly looking but potently fast 26x1.25's. I plan on getting all the details sorted out, then strip and repaint the frame. I have not re-circumferenced the 650 fenders yet. On the way to a local restaurant, a teenager decided to race me while I was riding in this configuration (not that it is a race... but oh well!) . He lost, so with these wheels it's fast, but I wonder how that size will hold up under load.

answered before, but reread your question and figured I'd add some specifics to the underlined parts. Not sure if others answered this stuff already but here it goes

26 wheels vs 700, for speed I really havent noticed a diff between the two for the paved and reasonably dirt roads I ride on, and I also figure that especially with a bike with a load on it, the speed differences really are minimal, if any.

Whenever I try to compare my 700 vs 26 bikes, its impossible because the bikes are so diff, bike weight, gearing--but that said, a narrow tired bike is going to be a bit faster and zippier than a wide tired bike, but lets face it, you cant make your mtb into a light road bike, no matter if you put 1.25 or 1 in slicks on it--but, as you can feel, smaller slicks make a big diff in saving some watts riding at the same speed--but its always a balance of comparing wider tires that have their own advantages compared to narrower.

re sweet spot, as I said before, I find 1.5in / 38mm slicks to be that good compromise of rolling fairly well on pavement, but still being that bit wider that gives a bit more comfort for you and your wheels over rough pavement and or dirt roads. I ride 28mm slicks on anything and have fun and ride fast, but not loaded.

re silly looking, hey, for sure thinner tires can look a little weird on a large tire possible frame, but your fenders actually make a real diff visually, so frankly your bike doesnt look all that silly.

One of my bikes with the 2in slicks on it and fenders looks very "normal" dimensions wise, but then it can take 3in tires up front, so there is a ton of room there.

This same bike does look a bit disproportionate with 1.5's on it, but with panniers on, it looks fine, and frankly who cares, if its fine riding thats all that matters.

and finally, I may be repeating myself, but diff 1.5in tires can have rather diff rolling characteristics, so one 1.5 that is really tough and stiff and heavy will feel very diff to a lighter more flexible tire--so there are no black and white answers here only using tire width as a marker....and then you get into what pressures you use.

A very stiff tire at lower pressures will still feel slow, whereas a really nice flexible tire at lower pressures will give a much nicer ride, will be faster over rough surfaces (cuz of the suspension effect not removing energy from the frame going over bumps) and will also roll more efficiently on flat pavement--but yup, you got it, they tend to cost more.

I think I recommended the regular greenguard Marathons as a good compromise cost/ride mix.

The Plus Marathons are heavier and stiffer, cost more and roll not as nice

Supreme series Marathons work fantastic, but are rather expensive and have very thin sidewalls that give them their really nice riding feel, but if you are someone who rides against sharp stuff and dont notice doing it, they are not the tire for you.