Old 09-12-19, 07:00 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by RabiesVax
I was in your shoes 2 months ago. I had been riding flats for 6 months and had been hesitant to make the switch to cleats. It has already been sussed out in this thread, if you want to walk more comfortably when not clipped, go SPD. They are dual sided and easier to get into. I have found really no advantage to SPD SL over SPD in leisure riding applications. As previously noted, if you plan to get dirty/muddy, SPD will work more reliably IMO.

That being said, I road bike the most and I wear SPD SL. I like the feel, the look, and the shoes. It's just what I feel good in and when I feel good, I will ride. I fell over twice and suffered a blow to my ego, but now I'm a bit of a natural (which is fortunate). I wish I had made the switch earlier but I don't think using cleats is like revolutionary to your cycling experience. But YMMV! Good luck.
It happens to me at least 1x per season. Doesn't get any better with the years. This year, I was a traffic light after a good climb (exhausted and out of breath) and missed the light post while trying to grab it to lean against it - I fell on the side slowly. You just gotta keep your sunglasses on when you get back up & people are starring at you. That's why I won't go with SPD-SL when I'll buy a commuter bike. Dual sided SPDs for the win!

Last edited by eduskator; 09-12-19 at 07:12 AM.