Old 09-12-19, 08:59 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
My Old Man built many of his audio sets because to get the latest/greatest, you had to build your own. Including the HH Scott kit 350 tuner and LK-72 amplifier combo that was passed down to me when he 'upgraded' to the factory produced Pioneer 'Quad' Qx-949. The Scott combo was sold at our house-moving garage sale in the '80s for around $30 because finding replacement vacuum tubes was getting near impossible. Remember when just about every store had a tube tester?
A Dynakit Stereo 70, PAS-3X, Dynaco A 25 loudspeakers (All for $120 on closeout in 1973 at an electrical wholesaler where stepdad bought his supplies) and a closeout $59 AR XA with Shure M 75 EJ (other audio store/record store) was my first HiFi system in 1973 which I kit built when I was 9 years old (my first paycheck as a young announcer/assistant engineer at the local AM/FM station bought these kits). I still own the kits. Still use them. Recapped twice, weak tubes as needed. Had a loaner Kenwood receiver from where I bought the AR XA while I built my kits (bought it at cost from them to replace Dad's Fisher 400 with bum output transformers).
Likes For Kent T: