View Single Post
Old 09-13-19, 12:18 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett
I have been wondering about the bike size, as I'm not sure how to judge the frame size for my body on these old MTBs. I'm 6'2" and the frame is 20" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the top tube, along the seat post. I honestly have not looked that far ahead yet but the frame does not look too too small. Any thoughts?
With the post where it is,

I'm going to say it is probably well on the low end of big enough for you depending on how long your bike fit inseam really is, go to Rivendells website to figure it if you don't know or not sure. It will not tell you MTB size but we can figure it much better if we know your correct road bike size by the numbers, if it's way too small you won't may not want to do much hard off road with it but maybe putt around on it anyway.

The Merz I got is waaay to small for me and I'm not an MTB rider anyway and it doesn't matter, I can ride it around ok if I want but it's not going anywhere.

Again, and like @2cam16 said, get some PB Blaster in it and work on the SP, best would really be to fill it up upside down from the bottom for several days, hope some comes leaking through and then dribble it around/in the top for awhile too. After a long soak find a vise, strip down the seatpost and I would make some wood blocks with holes drilled to hold it solid in the vise and VERY carefully use the frame to see if it will come loose, if not stop, soak for several more days and repeat.

If you the remove the SP clamp, you may be able spread the top of the tube a bit to get more Blaster in there which can be key.

If we assume the SP is original, I would try to salvage it until there is no choice.

I realize you don't have a vise so maybe back to the shop for help if they will let you wait/watch or find a bike co-op, shared open workspace/art/project shop that you could use