Old 09-14-19, 12:20 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
$400 is really optimistic for this bicycle in 1978. Comparable models were selling for ~$225-$250 US. In late 1977, Bicycling magazine did a road test on the Competition, which was one step above the Prestige, and they stated an MSRP of only $300 US.

When you take the pictures, don't forget to obtain the serial number. TIA.
Looks like it's actually a 1979, it didn't quite match the brochure as it has both a chrome fork crown and tips, the '78 only listed a chrome crown and the model below it had the chrome tips but not the crown. Yeah, I thought it seemed a bit high too, especially since in the brochure on the model one step down someone has written $249.95. It depends on where he bought it though, he may have well paid that if he went to the wrong store, I've seen it happen. He seemed like a riding enthusiast not a "bicycle" enthusiast so he probably went in with a price in mind not a component list. He didn't seem to know much about the bike even though he's had it since new. I chose not to test ride it until I got it home and I'm glad now I didn't. The front skewer you spotted wasn't the only issue, the jam nut for the cone on the QR side was about an 1/8' away from the cone and the cone was backed out about an 1/8"! Also someone had adjusted the back brake with the rear brake QR open, when I closed it both pads were clamped firmly on the rim. The bars are slightly tweaked on the left side, not noticeable at a glance or when your riding it but if you look at it just right it jumps out at you. I'm also downgrading the cosmetics to 90% after getting the big chunks knocked off it. I'm still very happy with it, after setting the saddle and bar height to my liking it felt really nice and I got the front shifter cable freed up so it's ready for the next Clunker Challenge after a bit more de-greasing and repacking all the bearings.