View Single Post
Old 09-17-19, 09:29 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Clubman era replica compatible frames?

Looking at this beautiful bike has gotten me (once again) inspired to try a long percolating idea to try to make a Clubman (type) replica project over the winter using a more modern yet true to style frame and components :1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix

Given not having an actual Raleigh frame from that era to start with, what other more easily sourced frames do people think would give a similar geometry / look to a Raleigh Clubman / Lenton? Something common enough to be a taken out for rambles without worrying about wear and tear as the originals were yet with a look (and paint) that might make one think it was from that era. Not trying to "fake" a bike though with misleading decals.

I'm currently into this project, restoring and converting a 69 Gitane Gran Sport Deluxe to single speed status but no matter what I do, it will always be French

My last English project was this 70 Raleigh Grand Pix which I enjoyed but alas, it is too large for me.

Something like this; similar saddle, a SA 3speed IGH perhaps, period fenders, older brake levers etc... But I don't know enough about Clubmans to know what frame would match. Would a 70's era Raleigh road frame, with older parts, pass as a faux style Clubman?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-17-19 at 09:43 PM.