View Single Post
Old 09-17-19, 10:06 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I'm thinking along with Bikemig... you need to list what you define as a "clubman", and specifically, what aspects of the build that you define as 1) have to have, 2) desirable, and finally 3) negotiable. I'm sure some will disagree with you, but that's neither here nor there in acceptability of your final build.
For this idea (hope it's what you have in mind):

A frame that passes as similar in geometry to the Clubman or Lenton of the 50's.

Similar bars, levers, saddle, peddles, crankset (I have most of this already).

Either a SA three speed or 1x 5 speed with Huret derailer and DT lever (have these). Could try my hand at making a 3 speed derailer freewheel too.

Period looking fenders - undecided.

Wheels debatable: I have 27's, 700's but would also entertain building a 650b rim with plump tan wall's for a twist.

Paint scheme would be similar but not exact, more of a nod to the clubman.

The idea is for a fun build that will allow weekend riding in the style of the day. Not a money pit trying to recreate exactly but not building a frame that would never look as being from that period.

I've thought of this on and off since seeing the modern Raleigh offering. I thought, cool idea to re imagine one but their bikes looked nothing like the originals. What's interesting (to me) is that some of the classic components are still available in modern form Sturmey Archer hubs, Carradice bags, Brooks saddles. With a modern frame and some Velo Orange one could make a fairly reasonable re rendering a little more faithful to the original.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-17-19 at 10:21 PM.