View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 08:58 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
For this idea (hope it's what you have in mind):

A frame that passes as similar in geometry to the Clubman or Lenton of the 50's.

Similar bars, levers, saddle, peddles, crankset (I have most of this already).

Either a SA three speed or 1x 5 speed with Huret derailer and DT lever (have these). Could try my hand at making a 3 speed derailer freewheel too.

Period looking fenders - undecided.

Wheels debatable: I have 27's, 700's but would also entertain building a 650b rim with plump tan wall's for a twist.

Paint scheme would be similar but not exact, more of a nod to the clubman.

The idea is for a fun build that will allow weekend riding in the style of the day. Not a money pit trying to recreate exactly but not building a frame that would never look as being from that period.

I've thought of this on and off since seeing the modern Raleigh offering. I thought, cool idea to re imagine one but their bikes looked nothing like the originals. What's interesting (to me) is that some of the classic components are still available in modern form Sturmey Archer hubs, Carradice bags, Brooks saddles. With a modern frame and some Velo Orange one could make a fairly reasonable re rendering a little more faithful to the original.
I have a 1952 Rudge Aero Special which was made as a Rudge-branded clone of the 1952 Raleigh Super Lenton. This was probably the top Clubman-type of the model year, except for the more rare and dear Record Ace. In that year Raleigh used straight 531 throughout, slack angles (71 seat tube 73 head angle), a lot of fork offset (trail is about 38 mm with 27x1 ¼ tires), and long top tubes. What's real close in the more modern world is the early pre-1973 Super course, similar vintage Raleigh International, and the 1969 Raleigh Competition. Of course the International and the Competition have lighter tubesets and nice, supple rides. Super Courses and Internationals had a little steeper seat tube angles and long chainstays. I can say the '73 Super Course is rather similar to the Rudge. Another similar frame is the Peugeot UO-8 pre1973. My 1971 Peug has 71 deg seat tube angle and 72 deg head angle and very low trail. The earlier Super Course was supplied with 27x1 ¼, but I mainly recall the Internationals supplied (in Chicago at least) with tubulars. The original '50s Raleighs are challenging because of using special Raleigh BB threading and headset dimensions, and of course the Peug used French dimensions.

I'd also consider using other fully db 531 British frames that you find have attractive frame angles, top tube, fork rake, chainstay length, and wheel clearances. My 1980 Woodrup Giro is fully db 531 (, 44 cm chainstays, 74 degree seat tube, 73 head tube and trail around 45 mm, and was originally sold with 27x1 ¼. The steep seat tube is more suitable to modern saddles. The 50s frames had Brooks saddles as standard, and for me the 71 deg seat tube is perfect for a Brooks due to the saddle's very limited fore-aft adjustment range (all Brooks single-rail models). I can manage this with a deep-setback seatpost such as a Nitto S-84, but this is a costly item for a seatpost.

Looking at geo charts for Bob Jackson, Woodrup, Mercian and others could get you some additional ideas.

Also perhaps some existing US builders would replicate your 1958 Raleigh or my 1952 Rudge for a reasonable price in lugged double-butted construction. You could perhaps even go with heat-treated standard-diameter tubing with thinner walls, for a flexier more lively ride that might approximate the behavior of 753 thinwall tubing.

Loads of interesting options!

Using old 3-speed frames is attractive, because it seems from the spec sheets that most 26" "Clubman-style" bikes were roadsters (Raleigh Superbe or DL-1) or light roadsters like a Raleigh Sport equipped with drop bars, B17 clone saddles, and possibly different brake levers.

You can peruse spec sheets and a lot of excellent timely and modern commentary in Peter Kohler's series of blogs, for example this one: https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...erne-1952.html. By looking through this stuff you can also get some perspective on how this type of bike was evolved up to the 1958 model year you are using as a model.