View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 04:40 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
without your dramatics , how bad did i claim it to be. Please quote it.

the rest of us are not surprised. You've spent years Manhandling the brake lever from the hoods, because that was the only way to stop from the hoods.

Now that the market offers better brakes, you still have no modulation because your habit is full on brake.

My problem, since you asked. Is that you think your previous lack of ability to apply power from the hoods is seen as modulation by you, and that you promote this hood braking on descents as sound bicycling on a forum. Which does not promote safe riding for riders that are learning.
the term is "trail braking", and it is faster to trail brake.

Lightened braking, which fits in with why being in the drops is better. More control over your braking. Unlike the guys on the hoods with the on/off braking.
Dragging feet never flipped a guy over his bars either. Which is what hood braking does, it just drags the pads.
Yet cyclocross racers from Cat 5 to pro learn how to modulate and stop their bikes using only on off dragging i guess. Also want to point out that I never said that braking from the hoods was better, in fact on the road and gravel I'm probably in my drops more than any other position descending but am on my hoods 99% of the time during a cross race. They all have their place and purpose and all positions when set up correctly are viable.