View Single Post
Old 09-19-19, 05:44 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
So many things contribute to "saddle soreness". I think many of these issues have been discussed but the nice thing about these forums is that they can be discussed ad nauseum ��. I firmly believe that cycling shorts are key! While some have mentioned cycling "underwear" it's important to realize that when worn under "regular" clothing e.g. cargo shorts, there are seams that can accentuate "saddle soreness". Attire made specifically for cycling are made to have the seams in locations that minimize discomfort. A proper saddle is also important. Soft, cushy and wide saddles aren't always as comfy as many would like to think. Many saddles require a "break in period" to conform to the shape of the rider. I definitely agree with the statement that a saddle is a very personal part of your bike. My most comfortable saddles are made of leather and took a while to be broken in. I do have saddles made of synthetic materials and the reason that they are tolerable to ride on is the fact that I've developed a callus of sorts where my bottom meets the saddle. To be sure, some of my bikes are more comfortable to ride than others. Proper fit of the bicycle is also important. Proper fit allows for proper position which among other things, makes for a greater degree of comfort.
I will say though, even with a great pair of cycling shorts, a leather saddle and a properly sized and fit bike, the first month or so is not going to be without some level of tenderness ��. My cycling activity levels have waxed and waned over the years and I got back into it this past Spring. I will say that the first few weeks left my bottom more than a little bit tender��. Long rides still make for some discomfort but it's getting better��.
Sovende