Old 09-20-19, 07:03 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Hardy - I’m guessing you have a bad tire rim combination. As there is no good standard, some tire-wheel combos are too tight (and won’t go on), and some tires are too loose.

Contenital (and others) have developed a new standard they plan on rolling out in 6-12 months that should address that issue. Right now, high pressure road tubeless is hit or miss, unless you match your tire to an approved-tested rim. High-pressure road tubeless also requires a hooked rim. Personally, I’m fine with some fast 32mm tires running hookless at >70PSI.
The main issue with road tubeless is it is generally more miss than hit. I work at a bike shop where we install and service a very high volume of tubeless setups on a variety of bikes. A few combinations work great, but a higher percentage of them (enough that I have a hard time recommending road tubeless) have issues. We sell the Continental GP5000 TL tires, and the hype before we got them seemed like they were the answer, but alas, they are hit and miss as well.
Anything above 32-35mm wide seems to work decent but bellow that, you may be in for a headache.
Likes For Le Mechanic: