View Single Post
Old 09-20-19, 04:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If you re-read the OP's description of the problem, he was not able to get the air in the tube (pump rebounded after pushing air in) and suspected it was because of a faulty removable valve core letting the air back into the pump. My point was not that valves are not necessary on tubes, which is absurd, but that OP's problem was not one of a leaky valve or valve that fails to close, because that's not how pumps work. As I have said many times in this thread, pumps have a check valve, and air will not push back in to a properly functioning pump because the valve on the tube is faulty - there would be other problems caused by a malfunctioning valve, but OP's problem is not one of them.
That's not how I read the problem. The relevant quote:

It has become a rubber lung: pump air in, exhale air out, pump air in, exhale air out while your pump pressure gauge keeps returning to 0.
44.5mph doesn't describe the pump handle rebounding due to a faulty check valve in the pump. He also says it happened with a second pump and that the problem went away with a different tube. Obviously, there is something wrong with the valve in the tube. You have been concentrating on the pump.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!