Old 09-25-19, 07:55 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_f
The discoloration was not there when i unboxed the bike (i would have noticed right away), it was not there when the bike was out of the shrink-wrap for a couple of hours in daylight, but only took place when i rode the bike and that side of the bike was exposed to the sun for an hour or so.
Anyway, who knows a method to cure this problem, if there is any?
I don't think the discoloration is from the sun. I think it's probably from off-gassing of the tire. Notice the pattern is perfectly round matching the position and arc of the wheel when it was packaged.

I'd guess the off-gassing of the rubber actually interacted with the clear coat. I don't know what you could do to reverse that - they've probably intermingled and firmed up at this point.

And that's not something you would've been able to protect or predict before buying! You could try rubbing a cutting compound lightly into one of the less obvious areas to see if it helps fade at all. If so, you know how to fix elsewhere.

PS - my guess is you'll find similar but less distinct discoloration on the insides of the chainstays where the tire passed by.