Old 09-26-19, 11:42 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Looking at Trek 920, thoughts?

I am looking at getting a Trek 920 and looking for opinions. I've laid out some important points below:
  1. I own a Jamis Ventura Sport road bike, it is entry level but it serves me well for fitness rides and getting around the city. I'd like a bike that compliments this.
  2. I am hoping to do some bike touring next season. I've done some before on my Trek 7100 hybrid but I ended up giving that bike to my father to use, I found I was fighting the geometry too much and that the front suspension was wasting power on climbs.
  3. I'd like to be able to ride *reasonable* trails, dirt roads etc.. Not necessarily looking for mountain bike level performance but it would be cool to go some of the places that are off-limit with my current road bike.
  4. I have a LBS that can get me this bike that I have a good relationship with.
  5. On a completely non-rational level I am a fan of the look of the bike. Shouldn't mean much but it can.
My concerns:
  1. Cost. I don't mind paying the price for this bike and I can get it somewhat below MSRP. But if there is a much better choice at the same or less price range I'd like to know.
  2. Wheels: I've seen some concerns expressed over the 28 spoke wheels. I'll admit I'm not an expert on wheels at all so I really don't know if this will likely be an issue for me. I am 5'10" tall and approximately 170lbs. I am imagining that with touring load I'd be approximately 200lbs. I've never broken a spoke on the Trek 7100 or the Jamis.