View Single Post
Old 09-29-19, 05:28 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
I was first lurking on BF in 03, 04 sometime because it has a lot of great, searchable information. At the start, I was exclusively in the 41 as that was my interest at the time. I, and the people I rode with were your typical roadies, competitive, dropping the hammer, rides to the point of throwing up, etc. Joined BF in 06 because I had something to say? Again, I mostly stayed in the 41. A bike was a tool, not a jewel.

But soon after joining, I turned to the dark side, C&V. It took a couple three years, but eventually I lost most interest in roadies and the culture of the 41 in general. Rides could be fast, but less and less town line sprints. Bikes are to be shown off, not ridden hard and put away wet. Never got into the whole Strava thing. I got into learning history and talking to and riding with the people who taught me. Different culture that I have slipped into. I don't know if it is better or worse than roadies, but it is where I am now..

So now fast forward to about a little more than a year ago. My business unit got a new GM. He is your typical roadie as described above. I invited him to ride in the morning this year as I have pretty much recovered from two back surgeries and could put in some miles this year. The rides with him brought back the memories of the competitiveness of roadies. Which is fine. I got to drop our director of marketing. He is one of those 5% body fat, every day going to crossfit types. But if you don't ride (he does very little riding), even if you are in top shape, you will pay. I must say whatever roadie is left in me did enjoy that bit.

But in the end, I prefer passing on what others generously gave me. It's the least I can do.
Likes For iab: