Old 09-29-19, 04:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Bikes are not as delicate as people tend to think. Practically any bike is capable of being taken off road under a couple of general conditions: 1) We're not talking about trails that are deliberately designed to be challenging for MTB'ers. 2) We're patient about reaching our destination, willing to carry the bike over major obstacles, etc.

I have a couple of bikes that would fit the descriptions given here, except they are thrown together from old parts. One has 28mm, the other 32mm tires. In both cases, I've taken them on all sorts of terrain, including the longer bike trails in WI that are mostly crushed limestone and occasional gravel. Like @rustystrings61 says, good tires are the skeleton key. I'd add, a comfortable saddle and good fit, which mean getting close with frame choice and then fine tuning it yourself.

I've never seen a Kilo WT in person, but on paper it looks great, very much like the bikes I've built for myself. Gearing, and the overall sanity of riding fixed, well... you'll figure those things out. Budget for trying a couple different sizes of cogs.

Now, riding extensively on rough terrain will probably get old on any non-suspension bike, so I'm assuming that's not part of the plan. If things change, then it's time for a second bike.
Likes For Gresp15C: